Tuesday, January 28, 2014

David Barra's advice

"Cruise the East, Build the Harlem, and Hammer the Hudson!"  That little saying is kind catchy.  I watched a few youtube videos of past swims and read accounts of a few people and I think the David's advice rings true.  This morning I was planning on a 7-8,000 yd swim, but Cathi got up with me and when she reported that her running partner just texted to cancel she was disappointed.  I didn't want her to get up and get all dressed ready to workout for nothing, so I offered to go to the gym with her and lift.  She typically lifts during the day when the kids are in school and I typically lift at lunch time.   What a great opportunity to workout with my lover!  Lifted legs.

Here was the theme of this morning's swim:

Cruise the East (1500 yards)
5 x 300's free - long and strong strokes.  Get under 3:55 on every set, if so, then go on 5:00.
Build the Harlem (1000 yards)
1000 free pull with Finis Freestyler paddles, build intensity by 100s but swim straight.
Hammer the Hudson (2000 yards)
5 x 200's free get under 2:35 on all sets, go on 3:00 on the first three, 3:30 on the last two
10 x 100's free descending, but start out strong not easy (1:14, 1:13, 1:12, 1:11, 1:10)
Fifth 100 do really easy as recovery set and then proceed (1:09, 1:08, 1:04) 
Last 100 do easy as warmdown
4,500 yards total

What a great workout.  My body is sore from all the lifting Cameron has got me doing, so tomorrow will be last lifting day for the week since I have a meet on Saturday morning.  I really need to schedule a massage in the next couple days.

 

 
 

 

No comments: