Thursday, October 24, 2013

Finding a Mud Dauber larvae swimming in the GSL

This afternoon I picked up Cathi from the train station in Salt Lake and drove out to the Marina where we met up with Jim.

It was a beautiful day and the water was warm (for this time of year anyway).  I swam 5 laps out to the marina entrance and back.

A total of 1.25 miles.  My watch temp read 61.6 degrees at the end.  Total time in the water was 35 minutes.  Water felt awesome.

On my way out some guy was by the boat ramp with his dog.  It got in and was swimming out near the ramp with Jim and I.  It got so close to me while it was swimming it started to scratch me on my back with its claws.  I quickly got out of the way while the clueless dog owner just looked on.

I saw a small brown shiny sac in the water.  It looked like a microscopic water balloon.  I scooped it up in my hand and looked and inside appeared to be some sort of larvae.  At one end was a dark color.  Here is a picture:

I took it over to Dave's office to ask and he said it was a Mud Dauber larvae.  It's an insect that resembles a wasp, but is much less aggressive.  Yes they have stingers but they don't form colonies like Wasps and Bees and are more independent and actually hunt their prey.  They probably feed on the orb weaver spiders out there in the marina.


No comments: