Thursday, May 30, 2013

Swimming to the core - 4000 miles

A big part of my existence and definition of self surrounds swimming.  I feel most at peace and at home when I'm in the water.  It's part of my core.  Not only is swimming part one of the core elements of my life, but today in my swimming career, I literally swam the same distance of the surface of the earth to the very core.  The average distance being just under 4,000 miles.  Which is the total that I completed today.

Yes there are many people who have accrued a lifetime distance greater than that, but each and every mile of that 4,000 miles is logged here and within
 this blog including details.  Detailing my journey has been fulfilling and given my training more purpose rather than just putting in the miles.  Setting clear goals along the way, noticing unique differences day by day and making various improvements has made all this work worth it and motivates me to keep going.  Getting up many times between 3 and 4am in order to get in my "workout" -  My stroke by stroke voyage in swimming to the core!

This afternoon I met Josh, Goody, Chad, Sue, Stacey and met Tammy for the first time at the marina.  We also met up with Howard Berkes, a correspondent for NPR.  He conducted a group interview with us about the GSL and swimming there.  I made a statement that part of the joy of swimming out there is the sense that it makes me feel hardcore.  I didn't say this next bit, but wanted to:  Swimming out in the Great Salt Lake makes me feel like a badass.  Most people think because I swim in the Great Salt Lake rather makes me a dumbass.  Either way, I'm an ass.

Total: 2.25 Gridley Straight in 1:02 including drink break in the shallows at black rock with Sue.

Daily total: 5.98 miles

No comments: