Thursday, April 18, 2013

Give and Take

I've done my fair share of "Taking" over the years.  I decided it was time to "give".  So I signed up to volunteer as a kayak support for the St. George 70.3 Ironman in a couple weeks.  My friend Brady is doing it, my Uncle Rob is doing it and my cousin is also doing it.  I was able to get Miles to commit to joining me on another kayak that I'll be bringing for him to use.  After what happened last year, it may be good to have more people out there on the water, just in case.

Yesterday I was just so tired when the alarm went off.  Either I'm a well balanced person who is able to listen to his body well and make correct decisions, or I am flat out just a slacker.  I prefer the first option.  But this morning I was very motivated to get up early and get in a good workout.  Drove to Steiner and did the following:

2000 - 10 x 200's - 150 free, 50 back
1000 - 800 kick with fins, 200 easy
1000 - 4 x 250's free

Then joined Wes in his tough Masters workout:
500 - 4 x 125's - 75 free, 50 stroke on 1:50
800 negative split
800 - 8 x 100's free odd on 1:35, even on 1:05
Ended up pulling these cause there was NO WAY I was able to hold 1:05 without dogging it too much even with a 1:35 pace on the easy.
two minutes rest
600 negative split
600 - 6 x 100's - 2 x (100 free on 1:15, 1:10, 1;05)
Large paddles first 200, Agility paddles second 200, no paddles on last 200

Then did my own warmdown:
400 various strokes easy

7,700 yards total in 2:35

---------------------------------------------------------

Stacey, Sue, Chad and myself not
really enjoying getting in the cold.
But once you start, it's not bad.
This afternoon I met Chad, Sue and Stacey at the GSL Marina and we noticed that the water was cooler cause of the less than warm weather the past week.  We swam out the marina to the first buoy.  Sue said she was going to swim back.  Stacey went with her.

Chad was still swimming to the buoy.  I wasn't sure if he was going with the girls or going to go with the planned route of following the buoy line.  I didn't want to stop and get chilled so I kept on going.  I went to the buoy just north of the overlook.  I turned around and didn't see anyone so I figured I was on my own.  I went to the next two red buoys.  My watch said 20 minutes.

Passing the buoy just north of the overlook at the marina.
I took at temp and it said 57.6.  I wasn't sure I could go another 20 minutes without going into "tunnel vision" mode.  So I decided to just swim to Silversands beach and get out there.  That was a good choice.  When I got to standing up point I stopped my watch and checked the GPS.  1.03 miles in 31 minutes (including a stop at the 20 minute mark for a drink of Gatorade.

Not too shabby considering I'm a cold water wimp now.

1.03 miles in 31 minutes

Total for the day 5 1/2 miles.


No comments: