Friday, March 22, 2013

The tragic story of Esther Fujimoto

On August 21st, 2011, Esther Fujimoto, a swimmer who was swimming in Pineview, and was struck and killed by a boat.  What makes it worse is that the boaters realized after hitting her that she was hurt, and then in cowardice fled the scene as she died there in the water.

Here is some links to the story as it progressed.

Initial story:  http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52429929-78/creager-woman-boat-reservoir.html.csp

Rescuer's story:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865559299/3-boaters-ordered-to-stand-trial-in-death-of-Pineview-swimmer.html?pg=all

Witnesses help locate the boaters who took off:  http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17640822

Boaters are given guilty verdict:



During the warm summer months, Pineview is my regular swimming spot for early morning swims.  I stay in the no wake zone, and stay along the perimeter of the shoreline.  At that time, and during the week, there is practically no boaters out on the water.  And the few that are, are just fishing.

For increased safety, I tow my Swimmer Buddy which is highly visible from the water with the horizontal profile of the noodle AND flag.  It's also nice because I tow my GPS, cell phone, and energy bar in a waterproof container that sits on top of the board held down by a bungee net.  However the Swimmer Buddy is a little pricey, but totally worth it for the visibility, ability to keep feeds with me, and safety should I need to quickly be buoyant, and make a phone call.

I have been out on Pineview on the weekend in the middle of the day, and even in the no-wake zone where boats are required to go slow, it can be extremely dangerous, so I avoid those times completely.  It's just not worth it.  Better planning and timing can go a long way to live another day.

No comments: