Thursday, December 27, 2012

In memory of Brent Taylor

I read this morning that my first swim coach in competitive swimming passed away.  Brent Taylor was the West High swim coach when I was a sophomore at West High School and was the first year I swam competitively.  He literally taught me all the stroke techniques to get me to be a competent swimmer.

One of the most vivid memories I have involving him:
One day in the middle of the swimming season my friend Travis Bailey and I were at Deseret Gym in the locker rooms getting ready for swim practice.  He asked if I wanted to sluff swim practice and go play racquetball.  I was kinda burned out at that point in the season and said yes.  So we went and played racquetball.  
The next day at practice Mr T shook my hand, except he didn't let go.  He squeezed my bone in my hand into another bone right were a nerve was and it was one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences of my life.  He asked me very calmly:  Where were you yesterday?  I wasn't about to tell him I sluffed in fear that he'd squeeze my fingers completely off.  So I cried out, "I was sick! I was sick!"  I was 16 and crying.  Literally tears were flowing and I was crying in pain.  He finally let go.  Oh man.  That was the LAST time I didn't show up for practice.  Travis kept his distance from Mr T and didn't ever get his friendly handshake.

After spending 45 minutes on the treadmill I drove to NWRC and did:

1000 - 3 x (100 back/breast/free) + 100 IM easy
1000 kick with fins
1000 - 2 x 500's pull on 7:15
500 - 5 x 100's free on 1:30
200 easy

3,700 yards total in 1:05
 

No comments: