Thursday, November 29, 2012

I'm in the right sport

Last night I attended a wedding reception and caught up with my old friend Bryan Child.  This guy was into triathlons the same time I was about 5 years ago or so.  He told me he's reverted to strictly cycling, and man he has gone far with it.  He's done Lotoja for the past three years, and last year he took 2nd by a fraction of a second, and the year before he took 6th.  He's hardcore biking.

As we were talking I realized that swimming is one of the least expensive sports to be in.  Serious cyclists spend several thousands each year, and serious runners spend several hundreds.  I probably spend about $100 per year.  I have several PBT speedos that are more than two years old and haven't faded in the slightest.  Goggles are probably my biggest expense as I go through a new pair in about 5 months.  I told Cathi she's lucky I'm not into cycling, or golf or something that takes tons of money.

After Bryan and I were talking for a bit, he told me he was down in Arizona this past year for a ride and some fellow cyclist asked after learning he was from Utah,  "Hey, do you know any swimmers up there named Goody?"  He thought for a second,  "You mean Gordy?" (Which I NEVER go by and can't stand when people take it upon themselves to call me)  The Arizona guy responded,  "No, I think it's Goody".  Bryan wasn't sure if this was a new nickname I was using or not.

I told him that he wasn't referring to me, but my training partner.  Small world.  Speaking of Goody, he's going through a tough time right now.  He's going in for chemotherapy soon.  He's a tough dude and while it won't be fun, he knows how to deal with tough situations and will get through it.

Today's swim was pretty good:

2000 - 4 x 500's (400 breast, 100 kick)
1000 - 2 x 500's (400 kick with fins, 100 breast/one arm fly)

3000 yards total in 1:10

No comments: