Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Swimming with Brandon Slaugh

This morning I woke up and looked at my watch.  4:20!  That's the time I need to be out the door, so I hustled and got to the pool just in time to start with everyone else.  Here's what we did:

When I got in Brandon Slaugh, current record holder for the Gridley Straight was in the lane.  I asked him about swimming it again this year and defend his title.  He politely declined.  I guess his experience with the salt last year was pretty traumatic for him.

Anyway, I shared a lane with him and we did the following:

600 warmup
400 - 8 x 50's kick with fins on :55
1600 - 4 x 400's free (1st one no stop, 2nd one broken into 2x200's :20ri, 3rd - 4 x 100's :10ri, 4th - 8 x 50's :5ri)
900 - 3 x 300's free finger paddles same pattern as above
400 - 2 x 200's free finger paddles same pattern
800 - 4 x 200 IMs pull on 3:00
400 - 4 x 100 IMs pull on 1:30
600 cooldown

Then did my own thing:
1000 kick with fins
2000 pull
2000 finger paddles
300 grandpa swimming


10,400 yards total in 3:10

I just realized that time is quickly coming to pass and there I often ponder on the many cases of "Next time...".

For instance:
Next time I watch conference, I will have swam the English Channel.
or
Next time I go to the dentist, I will have swam the English Channel.
or
By the time this box of cereal's best by date is reached, I will have swam the English Channel

Pretty exciting to think about.

2 comments:

SummitSurf said...

Can you describe any wave action you have witnessed out there? I'm curious as to wave size and period. Do they white cap all over or does swell carry to reefs and shore before breaking? Thanks

Gords said...

The biggest waves I've seen have been more like 4 foot swells about 15-20 yards apart. Most of the time its mostly just choppy, or barely a ripple.

Swam a couple times in high winds where the water would get picked right up off the surface and rain on you from the side. Exciting!

Never swam there where it actually capped over like in the ocean. But I'm not a surfer or SUPer, so I don't know how much value any of the waves are for that purpose.