Friday, February 17, 2012

Will's brilliant!

At the end of the workout today Will ran an idea that he had by me that I've never heard before and really got me excited about.  But I'll save that for the end of this post.

I was at the pool at 5:10am as planned to meet with my buddy Justin to film him swimming.  He's planning to do a full Ironman and was hoping to get some swim technique in.  However he didn't show up so I started my warmup before Masters:

650 yards free
Then Masters:

600 warmup
200 kick
300 IM

100 - 2 x 50's free
200 - 2 x 100's free
300 - 2 x 150's free
400 - 2 x 200's pull
300 - 2 x 150's pull finger paddles
200 - 2 x 100's pull finger paddles
100 - 2 x 50's pull finger paddles
600 - 2 x 300s IM
600 - 3 x 200s IM
600 - 6 x 100's IM


5,150 yards total in 2:15

Tomorrow I'm swimming at a meet.  And although I don't really care all that much about it, I still would like an excuse to get out early, so I'll call it a taper day.

Will started talking to me as I was getting out and has this idea about a "Pick Your Poison" race where instead of a triathlon, where you have a single person doing all three disciplines, there is a single race, but you pick which event you do.  All the swimmers, runners and cyclists start at the same time and try to finish first competing against everyone including those in the other sports.  The swimmers swim a 10K, the runners do a marathon, and the cyclists do @ 75 mile ride (depending on the road).  It would take coordinating by three event directors over the three disciplines where they focus on their sport.  Really it's three separate races all done at the same time and starting and finishing in the same place.  The shirts, awards, and promotion could all be shared, but the race logistics would need to be handled separately.

Doesn't that sound cool?  Will said it's 10K across Utah Lake, and a full marathon around the north end, and a decent bike ride around the south end.  Wow.  What an idea!  My life is WAY too busy to consider pursuing it so I'll just pass it along to some people and see if they want to jump on it.

I also mailed in my registration for the Utah State end of season Masters Meet next month.  You know, when it comes to competition in a pool.  My hearts just not in it.  I don't really care if I get new PR's, and with my distance swimming, there's no way I'm gonna sacrifice that do a long taper for a meet.  Sure I'll cut back a little the day before, but I'm not going to do a full taper.  I need to tell myself that just being there, meeting people, and interacting with the other swimmers will help the cause the most.  Not my performance.


1 comment:

Josh said...

I've talked to Will about this too. When we talked, he was thinking Bear Lake would be a good spot. With the new Bear Lake Swim, Utah Lake would probably be a better venue.

I feel the same way about meets and pool swimming. It's more of an opportunity to see friends, meet new people, and promote open water swimming. I'd like to get some PRs at the meet tomorrow, but my training is just not focused on pool competition and sprints. If I can break a minute on the 100 and finish around 6:10 on the 500, I will be happy. I don't really care about the 200 or the 50.