Saturday, April 23, 2011

Polar bear swim with Dangel

Last night I took the 15 boys to the southwest corner of Bountiful lake. I was hoping to swim with Josh and Jake, but the boys needed some direction setting up camp and getting dinner ready so I had to pass while they went without me.

This morning Jacob Dangel insisted on doing a polar bear swim so after we packed up camp, we got in our suits and waded in. I was extremely surprised when it read 48 degrees! Josh told me yesterday that his read 58. How could I possibly have dropped 10 degrees overnight with no storm?

We both recited the scout law and oath. He made me smile as his teeth chattered and he was short of breath with the cold water taking effect on him. I then gave him a high five and he swam back to shore and I turned around and swam around the western island and back to shore. A distance of 1/2 mile.

Later in the afternoon I met with Kevin Mortensen and talked with Phyllis Spencer, the widow of Orson Spencer. She is 101 years old and over the past week is nearing the end of her mortal days on earth. Later this week I will be posting some real treasures.

I then went on to SDRC and swam:

2000 free
2000 free
2000 free
100 back
2000 free
100 back
2000 free
100 back
300 - 3 x 100s IM/free/IM

10,600 total

10600 total

1 comment:

Josh said...

48?! No wonder it felt so cold. I don't know if I just didn't leave my thermometer in long enough or if it was where I put it. I think the water is probably warmer in the late afternoon than in the morning too.

Looking forward to reading about your interview with Mrs. Spencer.