Friday, March 4, 2011

Mind/Body relationship

1000 free easy until masters started......

300 - 100 easy/kick/drill
1000 - 5 x 200's free strong on 3:00
500 - 5 x 100's kick on 1:50
500 - 5 x 100's free fast on 1:15
500 - 5 x 100's back on 1:40
500 - 5 x 100's pull strong on 1:10

I was able to make each of those fast free sets with 5 seconds to spare so I was very pleased.  My kick was weak though.  
100 easy


I ended up talking for quite a while with Kris Edwards about running a swim meet.  Looks like I'll be relieving her in November.  She's going to help mentor me in all of the details (which should be quite a bit more than running an open water swim), which will be good because I think I can bring new enthusiasm and energy to a meet and also allow someone like Kris who has served Utah swimmers for many many years, the chance to sit back and have someone else do the work and enjoy competing rather than running a successful meet.

Anyhow, after our lengthy conversation (I was treading for most of it by the way :)) I resumed:

500 kick with fins
500 pull easy
100 easy


5500 yards 

Not the long swim I wanted.  I slept in a bit this morning and as you can see only got 1000 in before Masters, plus the talk with Kris took some time.  So the plan is to swim 15 miles tomorrow.  It's rare to not be camping, or going out of town so I'll take advantage of it and swim from 6-2 tomorrow morning and that should be plenty of time to get in my 15 miles.

Today while I was swimming I was thinking what makes me so motivated?  I mean I like to do CRAZY things.  I'm also passionate about swimming and fitness in general.  When I was into powerlifting, I spent many years lifting alone in the basement.  Many times I would do 1 rep maxes alone (which is pretty stupid).  And do many sets nearly to failure with no spotter, but I NEVER had an incident when I couldn't get that very last rep up.  At least when I was alone.

I believe I've really fine tuned the relationship between body and mind.  I know what my body can do, yet I'm not dogging it and stepping it up each time.  Just enough to push my body to the next level.  That kind of link is one of my greatest skills.  I'm not fast, I'm not the strongest, but I'm not afraid.  Don't get me wrong I respect that there are limits and am able to recognize when I've hit that limit, before it turns really ugly.

While I was in the locker room this morning getting ready to head to work, there was a guy about my age who was just sitting there breathing kind of hard from after a good swim when all of a sudden he went from a sitting position on the bench to a quick moving kneeling position and his eyes looked to the side and looked dead, but I could clearly tell he was still breathing.  He still was putting weight on his legs so he wasn't unconscious completely.  After being in that position for maybe 15 seconds he started blinking and then got back into a sitting position.

I said, 'You OK?'  He said "I guess I pushed it a bit harder than I should have this morning".  He sat there with his head in his hands breathing deep.  In a way I respect that guy.  Alot of people are home still sleeping, or at the coffee/donut shop on the way to work at this time, and this guy is pushing his body to his limits.  That can be dangerous, but it's way better than not pushing his body at all.  I love pushing myself and appreciate others who work their bodies to exhaustion.  I remember my brother throwing up at a 5K.  We laugh about that, but allowing your mind to control your body beyond it's comfort zone is fantastic.  However, that kind of intensity shouldn't be the norm.  Just like an abusive marriage, if the relationship is either ignored, or abused, then it will eventually lead to separation and/or divorce.  You want to build that relationship and allow both to grow strong together.

For me, I've already identified that I'm totally addicted to the cycle of goal setting/training/goal making.  I'm a junkie in that area.  I've always got something on the horizon to shoot for.  Without that I would be so depressed.  I believe if more people had this cycle in their life on a regular basis, there would be less depression.  If there was one thing I would encourage anyone to do (and not just for sport/fitness) has nothing to do with technique.  The best thing anyone can do whether they're just starting, or a seasoned veteran in their field, is to get in the practice of :

  1. Setting short term/ medium term and long term goals.
  2. Training hard to meet those goals.
  3. Then meet that goal.  If you succeed!  Great, go back to step 1.  If you fail, then your body and/or mind was weak or injured and you need to go back to step 2 or even 1.  But keep going!
That practice will make lifelong athletes out of anyone.  It doesn't matter if you're the best in the world at your sport.  We are all only competing against ourselves.  As soon as you start basing your progress and value on someone other than yourself, you not only risk becoming prideful, but also becoming extremely overwhelmed or worthless.

5 comments:

Evan said...

Hi Gords - I found you through Rob's blog. I take it you're one of the folks organizing the GSL Marathon Swim? I wish I could've signed up for that, but it's the weekend before the Manhattan Island swim I'm doing, and I don't want to mess with my taper. Maybe next year.

I'm really impressed by the yardage you're putting in. I did 10,000+ days pretty frequently in high school & college, but it was in the form of morning+evening workouts with lots of interval sets so it didn't seem too bad.

So, it's tough for me to imagine doing as much long straight swimming (in a short course pool, no less!) as you do - 5x2000 and stuff like that. I think I would gouge my eyes out.

If you get the chance, I'd be interested to hear your approach to pounding out sets like that without succumbing to boredom. Do you listen to music, or use the time to think about things? And how you do keep track of the lap count?

Take care.... evan

Gords said...

Hey Evan, Thanks for the comment. I was tempted to get an mp3swim or something, but figured I better not since it's illegal for a channel swim and I better not get used to something that I can't use on a channel crossing. So I end thinking about my stroke, or about getting a streamlined push off the wall, or about my current yard count. I count in my head by 50s so I keep a running total of my current distance.

I keep hearing from others about how boring it would be to swim that far, so I guess I'm a simpleton as I don't really get caught up on how entertained or bored I am.

Good luck on your Manhattan swim. That's great! I'd love to do that after my English Channel swim. Keep June 9, 2012 on your calendar for doing the GSL 8 mile swim.

Evan said...

Well, good on you that you have an appetite for that stuff. Quite a blessing for a marathon swimmer.

Great to hear you already have a 2012 date for the GSL swim. That'll be a full two weeks before the 2012 MIMS.

Good luck to you with the GSL stage swim. WOW!

Jenn said...

I found your blog a few weeks ago and I'm fascinated by it, so I'll keep following. I especially like what you said in this post about goal setting and training. I believe in it and I think you're absolutley right about depression--there would be less of it if more people would live like this. I'm passionate about competitive swimming. I coach kids and some adults, but I'm pretty novice at this open water stuff, and freezing tempratures seem crazy. Nonetheless I'm so intrigued by what you do and will continue to follow. Just wanted to say hi, and wish you all the best!

Gords said...

Thanks Jenn. Glad you're taking the opportunity to coach kids. My high school coach has NO IDEA how much of an influence for good she was in my life so keep that in mind if you ever feel unappreciated. Those kids are burning you and your qualities and values into their brains! And they'll never forget you.