Friday, December 31, 2010

It's been a good year

In 2009 I logged a total of 319 miles swimming.
In 2010 I logged a total of 758 miles swimming.

That's an increase of 237%.  I may not be 237% faster, but I believe my stroke has improved and my swimming endurance. This morning's swim I really focused on a long stretch out front (without overextending my hand towards the midline), and pulling straight back with no S curve.  My stroke has gotten better.

My goal for 2011 is 1000 miles total (pool + OW).  That is definitely achievable.  That's only and increase of 25% over 2010.  Considering the drastic increase in 2009 I hope 1000 miles isn't undershooting.  But I also don't want to get burned out.  I have a big swim in August 2012!

Today's swim was:

13 x 1000 yards free on 15:00


13,000 yards total

I had extra rest between a couple of sets for a quick bathroom break, but I did get the whole thing done in 3.5 hours.  I was aiming for 23,000 and that would have given me 150 miles for the month of December, but I hit a major wall at 12,000 and my stroke technique was starting to suffer so I called it good at the end of the 13th set and decided against continuing.  I already had a monthly PR at that point anyway.  For December I have logged 145 miles.  That kills November's 100 mile total which was my PR before this month.  Awesome.

I got the ball rolling a little on the GSL swim.  I contacted a friend about the possibility of making a documentary of the swim.  We'll see.

Happy New Years!

3 comments:

Josh said...

That is amazing! You forgot to mention your IMSHOF record in there.

Wow! A documentary about the GSL Swim? That would be awesome! I know someone who works at BYU-TV and I thought about asking him to help us with some video.

Scott Cannon said...

I can't believe those distances! How long have you been swimming?

Josh said...

Ha ha I just realized that you were probably talking about making a documentary about your swim across GSL and not the race in June.

Still, I might ask Julian Riley (who swam with us at GSL that one time) to help us with some video to promote our race. He works for BYU-TV.