Monday, September 13, 2010

Review of the Northwest Recreation Center

This morning I wanted to give my lips and tongue a treat.  Chlorine!  The skin from the inside of my mouth and lips is peeling off.  It's really weird.  When I got to Layton Surf N' Swim it was closed, so I rushed of to SDRC. It too was closed for repairs, etc.  I'm starting to really HATE the phrase "We apologize for any inconvenience". Next time make it amusing and just say "Up Yours" instead.

So I decided to go to the new Northwest Recreation Center.  My mom said she has a membership and that the pool is really good.  She was right.  It's an 8 lane pool and the whole facility is brand new so it's top notch.  Five of the eight laps are for water aerobics.  Upon seeing that I wasn't excited about feeling the temperature.  Clearfield Aquatic center is just like this pool, but they really cater to the old folks.  However I felt the water and it was surprisingly cool.  My therm read 79 degrees.   The place had a real "old people" vibe.  There weren't any athletic swimmers going, just old people bobbing, an old lady snorkel swimming, and a couple of middle aged guys getting a swimming lesson.

It cost me $4.50 for a day pass.  Not bad.  That's 50 cents cheaper than SDRC.  The place just needs more people and a masters team or something, it just FEELS so boring.

I wanted to get in 6000 yards, and thanks to Layton and SDRC I was able to get it done, but later in to work than I wanted.  The pumps or something underwater was loud!  It sounded like there were jets underwater.  I've never heard such commotion underwater in a pool before.  But it wasn't terribly distracting.  After about 5 minutes it didn't register in my mind all that much.  I'm a little sore from Saturday's swim, but not so bad that I skipped today's workout.  Today's focus is recovery and long easy strokes.  No need to really push it today:

1800 - 1800 yards straight.  Stretch out.  Get those stiff shoulders loosened
200 - 200 IM easy
2000 - 10 x 200's pull with ankle strap on 2:45
1000 - 2 x 500's kick with fins
1000 - 4 x 4 x 4

6000 Yards total

No comments: