Monday, August 2, 2010

It's only algae

This morning got up early and spray painted Isaac's bike in the garage with him.  He was excited to give it a new color.  Afterwards I drove out to BL and swam two laps in 58 minutes.  The taste of the water has gotten fouler than last time.  The water was very warm.  I didn't take a reading but I'm guessing it's in the 80s now.

I was thinking about the "Safe Swim Defense" points from last week's scout camp.  I used a little trick to memorize the points in order.  Here's my goofy way to memorize it:  "Queen Pat swam lazily like a big doofus".  The first letter of each word representing the real points to remember:

  • Qualified Supervision
  • Physical Fitness
  • Safe Area
  • Lookout
  • Lifeguard
  • Ability Groups
  • Buddy System
  • Discipline
With me swimming alone in Bountiful Lake, I'm violating the Buddy System.  I don't mean to make excuses, but I'm only 20 yards from where I can touch at all times.  And hypothermia is definitely not an issue now.  Anyway, I had a decent swim and didn't have any problems.  

One thing that kept my mind occupied is the fact that I am registered to take a CPR class with the Red Cross on August 16th and after that will have completed all the requirements to get the BSA Lifeguard certification.  Cathi and I were talking last night about getting a side job to supplement the budget for Christmas presents this year.  Instead of her getting a job, I'm going to apply for a lifeguard job at SDRC.  I know the pay will be crap, but I'll get free admission to swim there too, which is a huge bonus. 

I'll be lifting shoulders and upper back at lunch today.

No comments: