Friday, March 5, 2010

Same workout, once in morning, once at night

This morning I did the following:

800 (200 drill kick pull swim)
600 - 6x100 descend 1-3 by 2s (2 easy, 2 med, 2 strong) on 1:40
1:35, 1:20, 1:12

1650 paddles (Can't really remember, but I think it was in the 22s)
1000 pull (13:50 something)
800 paddles (9 something)
500 pull (6:30 something)
200 paddles (2:28)
100 pull (1:09) WOW!
paddles = hand paddles only, no buoy, no ankle strap (strong arms with light kick)
pull = no paddles, buoy with ankle strap (no kicking at all)

*all on :20-30 RI
150 warmdown

5800 yards total

What a good workout. I was able to go strong and not worry about pushing it for another set. It was a relief being able to go at a pace I felt comfortable with. I didn't dog it though. I also noticed that today when I went from paddles to no paddles my stroke rate definitely increased, and my oxygen intake wasn't as stressed when doing no paddles. It really works my arms and shoulders when I do paddles.

I did the same workout tonight. I went to SDRC and it was closed because of a little kid swim meet, so I hurried up to Steiner Sport Complex and that place is even better than SDRC. In the lane next to me I noticed was Alistair Cockburn. He's one of the fastest "old guys" in the nation. I think he held an age group national record for 100 back or something a while back. He's over 50, but as fast as a college kid.

Anyhow, tonight's workout was exactly the same as this morning's but faster. On my 1650 I got 20:34. My PR is 20:59. But I had hand paddles, so it doesn't count, but it's encouraging that I went that fast just in a workout. Also got 1:11 on my 100 pull. That's awesome. Great workout! Looking forward to tomorrow's swim. Will have to do it in the afternoon since SDRC has another meet tomorrow morning.

11,600 yards daily total

No comments: