Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Second thoughts re: Catalina Channel

Ever since a kid I've been fascinated with sharks. The kind of fascination where I like to see pictures, movies and even at the Sydney Aquarium. But when I've learned that they are extremely prevalent in Catalina Channel, especially Great Whites, it scares me.

I'm so glad they aren't in the English Channel which is my ultimate goal. Catalina for me is a milestone on the way to the English Channel. So with that said, I'm seriously reconsidering that milestone. I know I have a greater chance of getting hit by a car or stung by a swarm of killer bees. But that statistic is probably because there aren't a whole lot of people swimming in Catalina channel to begin with.

What is another option in the USA, where Sharks are definitely not an issue, but the swim is similar in challenge to the Catalina Channel?

[Feeling a little girly....]

2 comments:

Josh said...

I know exactly how your feel. Sharks scare the crap out of me even though they probably shouldn't. I blame it on Jaws and the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" as well as my lack of experience with the ocean and ocean swimming.

My uncle has been talking about swimming the Catalina Channel as a relay someday, but the combination of swimming at night and sea creatures has kept me from getting really excited about it.

I don't know what other options there are in the USA. There is the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in New York that is about 28.5 miles. It's a pretty intense process to get into the swim. You have to apply (including writing and essay!) and hope that they select you. Here's the website: http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2002

Gords said...

Yeah I looked into that one too. The entry fee is crazy!