Monday, December 21, 2009

Pulling

I used to think that if my legs were cut off I'd probably be a better swimmer. Today's workout proves that isn't true:

500 - 10x50 warmup doing pushoff and 20yd sprint, rest easy, odds no pushstart 15yd sprint rest ez on :45
1000 - 10x100 pull on 1:25 (banked 6 seconds overall)
1000 - 5x200 pull no paddles on 3:05
It was tough keeping 3:00 so I ended up doing 3:05. Definitely faster with paddles.

1000 - 5x200 pull no paddles or ankle strap on 3:00
10x50 same as warm up

total 4000

1 comment:

Josh said...

I have thought the same thing. When I swam in high school I was never good at kicking drills.

I went to a swim clinic last year that was geared towards triathletes swimming in open water and the coach there said that for distance swimming you really shouldn't be kicking that much. I forget the exact numbers, but I think it was something like only 30% of your forward propulsion comes from kicking but that your big leg muscles use a lot more oxygen that your arm muscles do. The point was that kicking harder/faster makes you tired faster and doesn't give you much extra forward propulsion.

From what I have read in Total Immersion, they also recommend kicking less in long distance swimming.

Now I just try to focus on swimming "tall" rather than kicking hard.

One a side note, I'm 90% sure that we are going to make a trip to San Diego this coming summer and I am looking for a swim to do down there if you want to join us.