Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Swimming Bear Lake according to Channel Swimming Association standards


I was hoping that there might be something on record showing John Quackenbush's historical swim from Idaho to Utah through Bear Lake. But surprisingly found that it had already been done by a guy named Neal Phelps. Check out the article here, The picture that accompanies the article however shows him in a wetsuit and snorkel.

While it was quite a feat even with a wetsuit, it isn't as impressive without a wetsuit which John Quackenbush did this last week.

When I do this swim in 2011, it will be according to the channel swimming association's standard - just a speedo, a cap, some earplugs and goggles.

At the same time, I don't mean to belittle the feat in a wetsuit, but it just isn't the same.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I'm set on making an attempt at the length of Bear Lake in the next few years too. I've even started taking cold showers in the morning in an effort to acclimate to cold water. I agree that, although impressive, it's not the same swimming in a wetsuit. My attempt will be according to channel swimming standards as well.