Thursday, June 25, 2009

New Personal Record on Distance - 8 mile swim

This morning I had the day off work because we're going to a family reunion in Albion, so I went swimming for a long swim. My goal was to get a new Personal Record for distance.

So here's my workout:

Do this set three times.....

1000 - 1000 Free < 15:00
1000 - 2 x 500 kicking with fins
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30 (get all around 1:20)
1000 - 5 x 200's pull on 3:00
200 Breast

12,600 Yards so far then top it off with 1600 more yards:

1600 - 4 x 400's (Odd IM, Even Free)

14,200 yards = 8 miles

My breathing today was evenly distributed on left and right. Not exactly bilateral because I needed more air than once every three strokes, so I would breathe on the left side for half a length (5 strokes), and then switch. Sometimes I'd do a full length breathing on one side and then switch. But I was not lopsided today in my breathing.

Did this in about 4.5 hours. The last 45 minutes there was a lady swimming in the lane next to me who was NOT promoting pure thoughts. She had a perfect figure and was wearing a bikini. Usually those types of people are in there doing laps to show off, and get out after 100 yards or so. But she was able to keep going and ended up doing around 1500 yards by the time I got out.

I didn't get really exhausted until about 1000 yards left. I felt like my arms were a little "tingly". It feels like the muscles in my arms are getting "eaten" in the sense that I suspect that my body is using my muscles as an energy source and start burning calories via muscles. Which isn't a good thing. I only had two buzz bites throughout the workout and about 18 ounces of water. I should have eaten a powerbar or something halfway through. Anyhow I'll have a good lunch now.

Now we're off to Albion and I'm excited to ride up to Mount Harrison tomorrow. Checkout my fitness blog for details on that ride.

No comments: