Saturday, March 7, 2009

New Distance Record and Planting a seed

This morning I got up at 6:15 and went over to Layton Surf N Swim for a new attempt at a distance record. Here's what I did:

9900 - 9 x (1000 free, 100 Breast)
100 - 100 EZ

10000 yards

About 3000 yards into it, the middle aged guy who is fast and I see every time I swim on Saturday got in. His name is Mike. I asked him if he ever thought about doing the English Channel. He said he thought about it, but not seriously. I told him of my goal to do it in 4 years. I also asked if he heard of the Deer Creek open water marathon. He said he did. He asked how many people did it. Last year I think there were about 15 people doing the 5K and 4 doing the 10K. I told him I was doing the 10K this year. It would be nice to have a partner with similar goals.

This long swim kicked my butt. On the last set I felt like my shoulder were "grinding". The pain felt like an engine running with no oil. My shoulder joints felt like they were rubbing and it wasn't a nice pain, but with it being my last set, I wasn't about to give up I just kept it going, just not as fast or intense of stroke. It took me 2:50 to swim 10000 Yards. I had three Buzz bites over the course and a full liter of water. I stopped for probably 2 minutes over the whole course as well. Felt really great about this swim.

I was just as tired and feeling triumphant as when I did the Pocatello bike ride, or when I climbed Mt Harrison. My stomach was completely empty and I felt like my body was starting to eat itself as far as taking calories. Had a good breakfast when I got home.

No comments: